Negotiations are under way to repatriate about 45 South African tourists stranded in Egypt.
So said Clayson Monyela, the spokesperson for the international relations and cooperation department, on Friday.
City Press saw a series of WhatsApp messages detailing how the tourists and government officials had been trying without success to resolve the impasse.
At the centre of their problem was the Covid-19 coronavirus lockdown regulations relating to flights being unable to land in Egypt and South Africa.
Responding to questions about what was being done by the government to assist in the repatriation process, Monyela said: “There are ongoing negotiations with stakeholders to see how they can be brought back to the country.”
Attempts were made to get a comment from the Egyptian embassy in Pretoria, but it had not responded yet.
Monyela said there were about 3 700 locals still stranded in other parts of the world.
Meanwhile on Wednesday evening, more than 300 South Africans returned on a repatriation flight from Miami, Florida.
Earlier this month International Relations and Cooperation Minister Naledi Pandor confirmed that more than 1 400 South Africans were stuck abroad and said that the government would allow citizens who were still abroad to return to the country.
Journalist | City Press
|Rise above the clutter | Choose your news | City Press in your inbox|
|City Press is an agenda-setting South African news brand that publishes across platforms. Its flagship print edition is distributed on a Sunday.|