Senzo Meyiwa suspect assaulted in court cell

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The five men accused of killing football star Senzo Meyiwa in the dock the Pretoria High Court on Monday.  Photo: Rosetta Msimango/City Press
The five men accused of killing football star Senzo Meyiwa in the dock the Pretoria High Court on Monday. Photo: Rosetta Msimango/City Press

NEWS


The police are yet to make an arrest after a prison warden allegedly assaulted one of the suspects in the murder case of late Bafana Bafana player Senzo Meyiwa.

Police spokesperson Mavela Masondo confirmed that accused number three, Carlos Mthobisi Mncube, was assaulted by a warden at the Pretoria High Court.

Masondo said:

Police can confirm that a case of common assault was opened at the Pretoria Central Police Station and is being investigated. No arrests have been made yet.

It is not yet clear what transpired, but it is understood that Mncube was allegedly assaulted in the court cell after proceedings of the much-publicised trial had concluded for the day on Tuesday.

READ: Kelly Khumalo takes interest in Senzo’s murder case, sends her lawyer to watch the trial

Mncube’s defence, Advocate Malesela Teffo, wrote to the police station commander to open a case.

“You are hereby requested to dispatch a police vehicle to attend [to an] assault GBH [grievous bodily harm] complaint at Kgosi Mampuru Prison,” reads Teffo’s letter.

He said the incident was witnessed by Mncube’s four co-accused and a court orderly.

READ: ‘Arrest Senzo Meyiwa’s murder mastermind,’ says Gerrie Nel

The five men – Mncube, Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Fisokuhle Ntuli – are facing charges of murder, attempted murder, armed robbery, possession of an unlicensed firearm and possession of ammunition in relation to the fatal shooting of the former Orlando Pirates and Bafana goalkeeper. Meyiwa was killed outside the home of Kelly Khumalo’s mother in Vosloorus in October 2014. The singer was his girlfriend.

The four of five Senzo Meyiwa murder accused, Muzi
The four of five Senzo Meyiwa murder accused, Muzikawukhela Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mthobisi Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Sifisokuhle Ntuli (far right). Photo: Aaron Dube

Teffo said he would inform Judge Tshifhiwa Maumela, who is presiding over the case, that the accused had been subjected to physical abuse by prison officials on numerous occasions.

“I was informed of this assault on the same day that they appeared in court when I was to see them at the court cells. The assault occurred when they were being transported back to the prison. He was being assaulted because he consulted with me inside the court. I was told by the other accused because this thing happened in front of them.”

He said it was not the first time that Mncube and his co-accused were assaulted by prison officials.

“I expect them to take him to hospital so that his injuries can be assessed by a professional. They are trying to underplay the seriousness of this assault. That is the kind of life he has been living, he has been constantly assaulted.”

“Mncube is the accused who is being suspecting of pulling the trigger. They say it is him who pulled the trigger and now it is like they want to kill him and then say that the person who killed Senzo is dead.”


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Delivering the 

news you need

+27 11 713 9001
news@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
According to a letter Health Minister Joe Phaahla sent to MECs, the country is ready to get rid of masks in public as a health protocol. Is it time to go maskless?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
About time
65% - 129 votes
No
35% - 70 votes
Vote