Tembisa decuplets: Mother receiving ‘support’ as Gauteng government plans to sue Rampedi, Independent Media

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Piet Rampedi has penned a letter to colleagues about the Tembisa 10 saga.
Piet Rampedi has penned a letter to colleagues about the Tembisa 10 saga.
Getty Images

NEWS


“It has now been established by medical practitioners that [Gosiame Thamara] Sithole did not give birth to any babies in recent times. It has also been established that she was not pregnant in recent times,” read the statement from the Gauteng health department on Wednesday.

The provincial government said that it would continue to give medical, psychological and social support to Sithole, the 37-year-old woman who Independent Media claimed had given birth to 10 babies early this month. Counselling would also be provided to her.

“None of the hospitals in the province, public and private, had any records of such births at their facilities,” the statement added.

The Pretoria News reported on June 7 that a record-breaking 10 babies were born to Sithole, sparking local and global media interest.

The provincial government has instructed the State Attorney to institute legal action against [Piet] Rampedi and the Independent Group

But government said it had no record of the births.

READ: We don’t know anything about the 10 babies – family

After an investigation and attempts to find Sithole who at some point had been reported missing, social workers found her. “And upon completing their [department of social development] preliminary examination on Monday, her doctors recommended that she be kept at the hospital for seven days for further observation, in accordance with the Mental Health Care Act.

“The provincial government has instructed the State Attorney to institute legal action against [Piet] Rampedi and the Independent Group,” the statement added.

After weeks of standing by his story, in an email seen by City Press the Pretoria News editor Rampedi this week apologised to Independent Media’s editor in chief, Aneez Salie.

We want them to retract the unfortunate allegations made against the government

“I am sorry for the reputational damage the aftermath of the story has caused for the group, the company and my colleagues in general. I am fully aware that the story, and the general response, put all my colleagues in an awkward position and under immense public pressure,” Rampedi wrote.

Rampedi said he could have dealt with the story much better.

READ: Mondli Makhanya | The racial pot is boiling over

“Quite honestly, I never treated the decuplets story as an investigation at all. I used no investigative tool or checklist.”

“We want them to retract the unfortunate allegations made against the government,” spokesperson Thabo Masebe told News24.

Masebe said if the media company belonged to the SA Press Council, it would have taken that route instead.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Delivering the 

news you need

+27 11 713 9001
news@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
The Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) has accepted the report by former Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke proposing that South Africa’s local government elections be postponed to February.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I was looking forward to the elections in October
50% - 10 votes
Postponement makes sense
35% - 7 votes
They should be later than February
15% - 3 votes
Vote