Transnet operations ‘staggered’ to minimise risks

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Transnet was hit by a cybersecurity breach. Photo: Getty Images
Transnet was hit by a cybersecurity breach. Photo: Getty Images

NEWS


On Tuesday morning, Transnet announced that significant progress had been made to restore its IT systems, which were hit by an alleged cyberattack on July 22. The attack led to massive disruptions in the freight industry.

Read: Transnet cyberattack cripples port operations

Transnet spokesperson Ayanda Shezi said most of the affected systems were up and running by Monday.

“It is expected that some applications may continue to run slowly over the next few days, while monitoring continues. All operating systems will be brought back in a staggered manner to minimise further risks and interruptions,” Shezi said.

At the ports, Shezi said each container terminal had communicated its transition plan from manual operation to the full Navis-driven operation.

Navis is a system used by Transnet Port Terminals to oversee the entire operation and move the cargo to where they have the capacity to service it.

Shezi said the terminals were berthing vessels that facilitate loading and discharge operations with the shipping lines.

We will continue to work directly with shipping lines in order to facilitate maximum import evacuation and further exports planned for future vessels. Controls have been developed, in conjunction with the shipping lines and the SA Revenue Service [Sars] customs’ division, to ensure safe clearance and evacuation of each container.
Shezi

Shezi said a force majeure order, communicated by Transnet Port Terminals on Monday to customers, which covered the period from July 22 was expected to be lifted soon.

“The business continuity plans have enabled Transnet Freight Rail to continue utilising manual backup operations, and run trains as planned.

READ: Transnet in court over breaching R300m contract

We assure stakeholders and customers that all processes followed allow for the safe operation of trains. We have requested customers with cross-border traffic and where the Sars clearance process is applicable, to submit hard copies of the Sars clearance documentation with their consignment noted at the order entry office/terminals. This will assist in the manual system application to authorise the departure of trains.”

Shezi said salaries of Transnet employees had been processed on schedule and there was no a doubt that this obligation would not be honoured.

“Transnet will continue to engage and collaborate with affected customers. A further update will be provided once full operations resume,” Shezi said.

No update was shared relating to details about the alleged cyberattack.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Msindisi Fengu 

Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
msindisi.fengu@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Some parts of the City of Johannesburg have become dilapidated, with potholes, piles of garbage and the stench of urine now being the prominent features of these areas. Who is responsible for the deteriorating state of these areas?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Government failure
80% - 28 votes
Residents
9% - 3 votes
Overpopulation
11% - 4 votes
Vote