‘We have nothing to do with the murder’ - Meyiwa murder accused

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The five suspects in the Senzo Meyiwa murder case refused to enter the dock when they appeared in the Boksburg Magistrates' Court on October 27. Picture: Gallo Images/OJ Koloti
The five suspects in the Senzo Meyiwa murder case refused to enter the dock when they appeared in the Boksburg Magistrates' Court on October 27. Picture: Gallo Images/OJ Koloti

NEWS


Four of the five suspects accused in the murder of former Bafana Bafana and Orlando Pirates goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa have opted not to be legally represented saying they will defend themselves in court and will not be applying to be released on bail.

Five men appeared before the Boksburg Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday morning under heavy police guard.

Muzikawulahlelwa S’tembu Sibiya, Bongani Sandiso Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokozisi Ziphozonke Maphisa and Sifisokuhle Nkani Ntuli Sifiso are accused of murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.

We are trying to explain to the court that we have nothing to do with the murder,
Maphisa

“No, I will not be applying for bail,” said Sibiya who is the main accused in the matter after refusing to enter the dock.

Ntanzi, who is the only one being legally represented, also opted not to bring a bail application.

“Various people have been accused for this murder and now we are being accused of murder,” said one accused before the magistrate told them it was too early for them to say something like that as the trial had not commenced.

“We are trying to explain to the court that we have nothing to do with the murder,” said Maphisa, while Ntuli also told the court that he intended to defend himself as he had no money to pay for his legal fees. He added that those who are responsible for the murder were free and had money.

Read: Crucial evidence 'overlooked' in Senzo Meyiwa murder case

The prosecution indicated through the proceedings that they intended to refer the matter to the High Court in the Palm Ridge area.

In documents, mistakenly issued by the national prosecuting authority, the prosecution indicated singer and girlfriend to the late Meyiwa, Kelly Khumalo, may also be a suspect.

Voluminous credible evidence presented by the [police’s] investigating team. Thus, the Director of Public Prosecutions was satisfied that there was sufficient evidence for the police to arrest the five suspects
NPA

“The investigating officer must file a statement detailing the events and circumstances that led to the confessions by accused number 1 and 2 and how it fits in with the facts of the case. Cellphone communication between the various accused before/during/after the commission of the offence must be established with tower locations,” the document read adding that communication records of Khumalo “indicting her communication with the accused must be obtained, as previously indicated”.

The document also indicated that there was a lender who advanced a loan to Khumalo “ostensibly to pay hitmen and that this lender was pestering her for repayment of this loan. A statement from the lender must be obtained”.

Read: Kelly Khumalo’s torrent of abuse

The National Prosecuting Authority said they had “voluminous credible evidence presented by the [police’s] investigating team. Thus, the Director of Public Prosecutions was satisfied that there was sufficient evidence for the police to arrest the five suspects and face the three charges. While the NPA is pleased with the outstanding work done by the investigating team, more extensive work still lies ahead. In this regard, further prosecutions cannot be not ruled out,” said NPA spokesperson Sipho Ngwema.

The matter was postponed for serving of a final indictment to November 27. All accused are remanded in custody.

Meyiwa was killed while visiting his girlfriend Khumalo at her home in Vosloorus in 2014 in a suspected robbery gone wrong. Recent media reports suggest that Meyiwa’s death could have been a hit.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Abram Mashego 

Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
abram.mashego@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

All your favourite publications in one place.
Read now
Voting Booth
Former president Jacob Zuma's legal team has given the chairperson of the commission of inquiry into state capture, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, an ultimatum. Either he recuse himself or Zuma will either prolong proceedings or exercise his right to remain silent
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Zuma is undermining Zondo
62% - 866 votes
Zuma is within his rights
9% - 122 votes
Zondo has done a good job
29% - 399 votes
Vote