Zandile Gumede still out in the cold

accreditation
Zandile Gumede. Picture: Nkosi Sibalukhulu/Daily Sun
Zandile Gumede. Picture: Nkosi Sibalukhulu/Daily Sun

Embattled eThekwini Mayor Zandile Gumede’s special leave has been extended for a further two weeks as a result of the Kwa-Zulu Natal ANC executive committee having not reached a decision over when she can return to work. This despite her special leave ending on Wednesday.

The committee expressed that it was still in the process of seeking a resolution to the mayor’s investigation

“We expect the comrades affected to remain on leave and to wait for the organisation to complete a process they are familiar with in the way of their participation in the same process,” said ANC provincial secretary-general Mdumiseni Ntuli.

On Wednesday, Ntuli told journalists that Gumede’s special leave would be extended until the party resolves the investigation. This will, according to Ntuli, happen at the next committee meeting which is expected to take place in two weeks’ time.

READ: Zandile Gumede in more trouble

“We are almost done with the work that was assigned to the task team by the provincial working committee. That work is almost complete, it will be processed by the next meeting of the provincial working committee,” Ntuli said.

Gumede is facing charges of fraud and corruption relating to R208 million spent in a Durban Solid Waste tender in 2016.

She was placed on special leave last month while the provincial committee’s task team investigates the allegations against her and the other accused.

READ: Zandile Gumede: The mayor they call gangster

In May, the embattled mayor and senior municipal councillor Mondli Mthembu handed themselves over to the Hawks and they were granted R50 000 bail each.

Gumede and Mthembu are facing charges of money laundering, corruption and racketeering.

The mayor’s woes still continued even when she was on special leave, as her supporters were accused of using municipal buses when they embarked on a protest calling for Gumede to be reinstated.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Tourism Minister Lindiwe Sisulu’s comments on the Constitution and the judiciary has been termed an “extraordinary attack” that is “dangerous and regressive”. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
She’s within her rights
12% - 44 votes
It’s all politics
25% - 92 votes
It was irresponsible
64% - 237 votes
Vote