Zweli Mkhize warns against scammers soliciting funds in his name

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Mkhize said the targets included his associates and government officials who were misled to believe that he was raising funds for an “undisclosed campaign”. Photo: Elizabeth Sejake
Mkhize said the targets included his associates and government officials who were misled to believe that he was raising funds for an “undisclosed campaign”. Photo: Elizabeth Sejake

NEWS


Former health minister and aspirant ANC national leadership candidate Zweli Mkhize has issued a public warning that anyone soliciting donations in his name should be reported to law enforcement agencies.

In a brief media statement on Thursday, Mkhize said he was aware that:

Certain individuals have attempted to misuse my name using an email address with the same name as mine to solicit financial favours from various people.

He said the targets included his associates and government officials who were misled to believe that he was raising funds for an “undisclosed campaign”.

“I wish to place on record that I distance myself from this email and reject such criminal behaviour as fraudulent, and will be reporting this to the relevant authorities on an urgent basis.”

“Anyone approached by anyone putatively misrepresenting themselves as me or as an agent of sorts is cautioned to regard this as fraudulent and advised to report it to the authorities accordingly.”

READ: ANC’s 2022 presidential race: The frontrunners

Mkhize has been out in the cold after his political career was rocked by the Digital Vibes tender scandal. He resigned last year as health minister on the eve of a Cabinet reshuffle that could have seen President Cyril Ramaphosa dropping him from the national government.

Mkhize is now being courted by ANC factions that want him to contest for one of the governing party’s top six positions at this year’s national conference.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Setumo Stone 

Political Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
Setumo.Stone@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Tourism Minister Lindiwe Sisulu’s comments on the Constitution and the judiciary has been termed an “extraordinary attack” that is “dangerous and regressive”. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
She’s within her rights
11% - 39 votes
It’s all politics
26% - 89 votes
It was irresponsible
63% - 216 votes
Vote