Confusion over step-aside rule in Parliament delays suspensions

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Aaron Motsoaledi, ANC chief whip Pemmy Majodina and ANC deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte singing and dancing before an ANC caucus meeting. Photo: Jan Gerber/News24
Aaron Motsoaledi, ANC chief whip Pemmy Majodina and ANC deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte singing and dancing before an ANC caucus meeting. Photo: Jan Gerber/News24

POLITICS


Luthuli House is yet to provide direction to the ANC chief whip’s office in Parliament regarding members affected by the step-aside rule, resulting in confusion and a deepening sentiment that the rule was implemented factionally.

Last Wednesday, ANC member in the national council of provinces (NCOP) Zukiswa Ncitha participated virtually in a question-and-answer session with Mineral and Energy Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe, whereas the rule was that affected ANC members should take no part in any proceedings and only be available to vote when instructed to.

Ncitha faces criminal charges in relation to fraud, corruption and money laundering.

Ncitha on Thursday referred questions to Eastern Cape ANC secretary Lulama Ngcukaitobi, who could not be reached for comment. Critics charged that Ncitha was being allowed to conduct her NCOP duties because she was close to the Eastern Cape ANC leadership aligned with President Cyril Ramaphosa.

“You can see that this thing is being implemented factionally,’’ said an aggrieved MP on condition of anonymity.

Nomfanelo Kota, spokesperson for ANC chief whip Pemmy Majodina, said on Friday that while there may be information in the media, “as caucus, we need to work based on official correspondence”.

“We know the resolutions; we have read them and we understand them. However, for now we have not yet received any official correspondence from Luthuli House regarding the list of MPs who will be affected by the step-aside rule,” Kota said.

READ: Step aside list: ANC members charged with corruption or other serious crimes

ANC deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte had previously said that Luthuli House was waiting for guidance from the presiding officers in Parliament on how the sanction against the affected MPs was likely to affect the work of Parliament and what the impact would be on the remuneration of those holding prominent government posts.

Ncitha’s criminal charges are similar to those of suspended ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule.

As mayor of Buffalo City metro in East London, Eastern Cape, she was one of the accused in a case relating to the transporting of mourners to the memorial service of former president Nelson Mandela in December 2013.

She was charged alongside her former deputy mayor Themba Tinta; former metro speaker Luleka Simon-Ndzele; former Eastern Cape health MEC Sindisiwe Gomba; ANC provincial leader Phumlani Mkolo; Thembelani Sali; Ondela Vatile Mahlangu; Viwe Vazi; Zintle Nkuhlu; Nosiphiwo Mati; Dean William Fanoe and Nqaba Ludidi.

The accused appeared in court this week, but the seven-year long case was again postponed.

Gomba and Mkolo also feature on the list of 11 people whom the Eastern Cape ANC identified as step-aside candidates.

City Press heard that corruption-accused ANC MP Bongani Bongo, a staunch supporter of Magashule, had since taken leave.

READ: Phosa and Yacoob fallout over step-aside rule

Another ANC MP, Boyce Maneli, has previously been requested by the Gauteng ANC to step aside for his role in the irregular investments by VBS Mutual Bank when he was mayor of West Rand District Municipality.

In 2021, Maneli and Maphefo Letsie, the mayor of neighbouring Merafong Local Municipality, refused to step aside on the grounds that they were appealing the decision by the provincial integrity committee.

In KwaZulu-Natal, the ANC was due to serve the affected step-aside candidates, who were yet to comply with temporary suspensions, including former eThekwini mayor and now member of the provincial legislature Zandile Gumede.

Gumede, a heavyweight among the list of 13 people submitted by the province to Luthuli House, until now has had a get-out-of-jail-free card from the provincial executive committee as it delayed the step-aside process against her.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Setumo Stone 

Political Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
Setumo.Stone@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Were the knee-jerk travel bans imposed on SA following our detection of the Omicron variant necessary?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
We are being punished
48% - 79 votes
Rather safe than sorry
29% - 48 votes
They have every right
22% - 36 votes
Vote