Finances won’t stop continuation of Gauteng ANC conference – Mabe

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
ANC Gauteng provincial secretary Thembinkosi Nciza and spokesperson Pule Mabe. Photo: Norman Masungwini
ANC Gauteng provincial secretary Thembinkosi Nciza and spokesperson Pule Mabe. Photo: Norman Masungwini

POLITICS


The ANC might be going through financial difficulties at the moment, but that does not mean it cannot execute its political obligations.

This is according to ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe and newly elected Gauteng provincial treasurer Thembinkosi Nciza.

Mabe and Nciza briefed the media about the state of readiness for the second leg of the Gauteng provincial conference on Thursday.

They said that, despite the party’s reported financial difficulties, the Gauteng provincial structure’s financial status was healthy and the second leg of the adjourned conference would be held this weekend.

READ: Battle for Gauteng ANC not over yet

The Gauteng provincial conference was adjourned two weeks ago after spending the scheduled four days resolving the credentials of delegates and attending to a failed court interdict.

“To suggest that the ANC has financial issues and therefore cannot execute its political programme is, on its own, hectic. The full complement of the provisional executive committee consists of 35 men and women elected at the conference.

“We cannot stay in the economic hub of the country and not have a conference for two weeks because there are financial problems.” Mabe said:

We’ve got to elect the leadership and make sure that they would be able to execute the programme of the ANC in the province.

Nciza echoed Mabe’s sentiment, saying there was never an issue about finances. “We deal with a number of things and make sure that our finances are healthy in this province, especially when it comes to the day-to-day running of our provincial office,” he said.

Mabe said the national office helped in the daily running of all the ANC offices in the country. “But that doesn’t mean that other provinces such as Gauteng are struggling.”

Mabe said the conference would resume over the weekend. Delegates are going to elect the additional members who were nominated, but could not be elected after they had run out of time.

 He said:

I’m sure when they conclude they will have discussed and resolved many issues.

Mabe and Nciza refused to discuss the issue of the 14 quarantined Ekurhuleni votes, arguing that it was an internal matter which had been receiving attention from relevant structures of the party.

He indicated that 1 022 delegates had voted in that conference and those were the credentials that were adopted. If the quarantined votes were to be included now, they could change the outcome of the top five officials who were voted in last week.

He said the ANC was not experiencing the issue of the quarantined votes as a crisis. “We can go back to Mangaung or Nasrec conference in 2017 where votes were quarantined and nobody asked what happened to them afterwards.”

Nciza said the results of the Gauteng provincial conference were clear and final in terms of the top five officials because the whole conference had adopted the credentials.

“We are going to proceed with the conference, and we’ll not reopen the issue of credentials because it has already been adopted. What’s going to happen is that delegates are going to vote for the nominated individuals. We won’t add any name or reduce,” he said.

READ: ANC Gauteng fails to conclude conference while Lesufi is voted new chairperson

Nciza said branches had been tasked with the registration of delegates and wouldn’t accept new delegates other than the credentials which had been adopted by the conference in Benoni.

He said they had also tightened security to deal with bogus delegates who had nearly collapsed the conference two weeks ago.

Mabe said the ANC had pronounced before the conference that the newly elected leadership was not provisional, but final.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
2022 Fifa Qatar World Cup
DAYS
HRS
MINS
MORE WORLD CUP NEWS

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Cricket SA is considering replacing Mark Boucher with two coaches, one for red-ball and the other for white-ball responsibilities. Is this a good move?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Love the idea
35% - 71 votes
Hate the idea
35% - 71 votes
They must just be local
31% - 63 votes
Vote