The ANC is expecting provincial secretaries to submit the names of those officials who have been implicated in corruption and those who have been reported to be involved in wrongdoing by Thursday this week.
This is according to correspondence sent by ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule last Friday to the secretaries.
It comes with the expectation that implicated members will step aside by the end of April or face possible suspension. Magashule is also expected to step aside for his involvement in an irregular asbestos tender worth R255 million during his tenure as Free State premier.
The governing party during its most recent national executive committee (NEC) meeting decided that it would implement the resolution from its 54th ANC conference which compels members who have been implicated in wrongdoing to step down from their posts.
“Provinces are requested to submit by Thursday, April 15 at 5pm the names of those members who have been implicated and charged with corruption or other serious crimes, and those who are alleged [and/or] reported [to be], or implicated in corrupt practices. Provinces must provide details of whether affected comrades have been informed personally in writing,” said the letter signed by Magashule.
ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa in his closing remarks of the NEC meeting held from March 26 to 28 said that members would be given 30 days to come forward.
The additional 30 days were a request by Magashule who said he would be using this time to seek the counsel of past leaders of the movement.
Ramaphosa said provincial chairpersons and secretaries would meet with national officials during that time to further refine the guidelines to ensure that the resolution could be effectively implemented. He added that the NEC expected all members to rally around this decision and not to engage in any acts of indiscipline, including through mobilisation or public statements that undermine the implementation of the resolution.
The names of officials who have been implicated in crime were first sent to ANC leadership late last year. The implementation of the step-aside policy was, however, was halted when the party decided to seek legal opinion from independent experts on how to handle the process.
The party also wanted members who were implicated in the theft of food parcels and other Covid-19 resources to appear on the list.
The party requested that all ANC officials and those representing it in the legislature and provincial government submit a declaration of assets, shareholding, directorship of companies and income.
Other required submissions included a clearance certificate from the police to determine whether a member had been charged for crime or was awaiting trial.