The Department of Mineral Resource and Energy (DMRE) invites marginalised gold mining industry currently grappling with pressing environmental and operational challenges attributed to extraneous mine water. The negative impacts of mine water can be experienced at a local or regional scale depending on number of variables inter alia hydrological and hydrogeological characteristics of the mine site(s), chemistry of mine water, and inter-connectivity of the ground water.
The DMRE will provide a subsidy and pumping bill to ensure that gold marginalised mines operate sustainably by pumping out extraneous mine water. There will be no other expenses claimed against the allocation.
The following standard conditions are applicable:
- A valid Mining Permit or Mining Right
- Approved Environmental Management Programme/ Plan
- Updated Hydrogeological Report (signed off by the Specialist registered with SACNASP or ECSA)
- Motivation indicating the need to remove extraneous mine water for the sustainable continuation of the mining operation
- Detailed operational cost of pumping extraneous mine water
Interested gold mine operations should submit the motivation and all associated documents as per the criteria above to the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy.
The document should be submitted or couriered to the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy, 70 Meintjies Street, Arcadia, Pretoria for the attention of Mr. T. Morokane, telephone number: 012 444 3831.
Due date for submission: 29 October 2021.