Details of Pitso’s imminent unveiling at Al Ahly emerge

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Mamelodi Sundowns head coach Pitso Mosimane is believed to have joined Al Ahly. Picture: Lefty Shivambu / Gallo Images
Mamelodi Sundowns head coach Pitso Mosimane is believed to have joined Al Ahly. Picture: Lefty Shivambu / Gallo Images

SPORT


As the news of Pitso Mosimane stepping down as Mamelodi Sundowns head coach continues to filter in, media reports in Egypt have shed light on his likely destination as well as the details around his apparent talks with African powerhouse Al Ahly.

The negotiations between Mosimane and Al Ahly have been going on for two weeks and the two parties reached a deal on Monday after a five-hour video conference call.

These details were published on Wednesday in YallaKora, an Egyptian Arabic online news portal known for being the first to break stories on everything Al Ahly.

According to the publication, Mosimane is set to sign a two-year contract with Al Ahly on his arrival in Cairo on Thursday and he is to conduct his first training session on Friday.

The North African giants are understood to have parted ways with former coach René Weiler despite the Swiss having guided the Red Devils to a league and cup double – a record 42nd Egyptian Premier League title and the Super Cup.

READ: The battle of the kits | Who has the most lit shirt between Pirates, Chiefs and Sundowns?

Yallakora stated that Mosimane was granted leeway to bring in “three of his staff with him – an assistant manager, analyst and a fitness coach”.

The article also noted that Mosimane had “promised to make it easier for Al Ahly to sign Gastón Sirino”.

The Uruguayan scored on the two occasions that Sundowns met Al Ahly in the CAF Champions League quarterfinals in the past two editions of the premier continental competition.

The news of Mosimane’s shock resignation as Sundowns head coach broke locally on TimesLive on Wednesday, prompting the former Bafana Bafana coach and the club to release two separate media statements to confirm that he had indeed stepped down from his post at Chloorkop.

In his statement, Mosimane only said he had accepted an offer to join an “international team”, while Sundowns only made mention of “a top Egyptian club”.

Sundowns, however, said the club was aware of “the ongoing discussions” between Mosimane and “the Egyptian club and with other North African clubs”.

“It is with a sense of pain and sadness that I announce my departure from Mamelodi Sundowns FC. I have accepted an offer to join an international team. Mamelodi Sundowns have been my family for almost eight years,” said Mosimane in his statement.

In accepting his resignation, Sundowns owner Patrice Motsepe said: “Pitso Mosimane and his agent, Moira Tlhagale, who is also his wife, came to brief me on the discussions between Mosimane and a top Egyptian club.

“I have on several occasions over the past few years expressed my support for Pitso Mosimane leaving Sundowns to coach in North Africa or Europe or Bafana Bafana.”

 

Mosimane, who signed a four-year contract with Sundowns in May, leaves the club after a trophy-laden spell since he joined in December 2012.

The tactician from Kagiso in the West Rand steered the Brazilians to a domestic treble in the just-concluded campaign for a total 11 trophies delivered in his eight years, including the CAF Champions League in 2016.

Recently, Sundowns defended the Absa Premiership title in addition to annexing the Nedbank Cup and the Telkom Knockout.

Mosimane is popular in North Africa, and his love affair with the Egyptians came to the fore when he was invited by a local TV company as an analyst for the Afcon tournament that Egypt hosted in June and July last year.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Daniel Mothowagae 

Deputy sports editor

+27 11 713 9001
Daniel.Mothowagae@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

All your favourite publications in one place.
Read now
Voting Booth
Former president Jacob Zuma's legal team has given the chairperson of the commission of inquiry into state capture, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, an ultimatum. Either he recuse himself or Zuma will either prolong proceedings or exercise his right to remain silent
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Zuma is undermining Zondo
63% - 837 votes
Zuma is within his rights
9% - 115 votes
Zondo has done a good job
29% - 380 votes
Vote