Newly elected CAF president Patrice Motsepe has vowed that his tenure as head of the continental football body will yield positive change for African football.
Motsepe was elected in Morocco last Friday in a historic vote in which he ran for the top job uncontested.
The South African business mogul succeeded Ahmad Ahmad of Madagascar who could not complete his four-year term last year after Fifa banned him on allegations of financial misconduct.
At a media briefing on his return on Tuesday Motsepe outlined some of his key objectives as he begins his tenure.
“I’m not going to be a president of an organisation which four years from now will not have tangible, significant and assessable progress. It’s not going to happen,” he told the media in Sandton, Johannesburg.
“There is nothing that gives you more respect than success and you can’t argue against the results. This period of my leadership is not going to be judged by my manifesto but by our success.”
The 59-year-old, who is among the richest people in Africa, was convinced to stand for the CAF presidency following talks with leaders of football, including Fifa president Gianni Infantino.
His campaign was led by Safa president Danny Jordaan. Motsepe admitted he had declined the approach on numerous occasions.
“When I was asked to stand as the president of CAF I thought to myself that ‘these people are crazy’. They spoke and spoke and I clearly said no because I have so much other work to do. But after three or four meetings I saw [the light[, in terms of what we can do,” he said.
“By 2050 we [Africa[ will have the youngest population in the world. If we do not give a future to these young people we will have persistent uprisings, civil wars and instability.”