Thursday might be the day South Africans find out when the halted PSL programme will resume.
The PSL has called an extraordinary meeting of the Board of Governors to discuss, among other things, resumption of football activities, including settling on the restart date and compliance inspections, as well as looking at travel and accommodation for teams.
The latest gathering by the local club football leadership – which will be conducted virtually – is the latest in much toing and froing by the PSL in their bid to resume the 2019/20 campaign, which was postponed indefinitely in the middle of March in the wake of the Covid-19 coronavirus outbreak.
In a notice sent out to its membership on Tuesday, which City Press has seen, the PSL said that part of the agenda would include the stakeholders’ briefing on broadcasters and sponsors.
The league has already lost its major sponsor, Absa, which will not renew it R130 million annual sponsorship when it ends at the end of this campaign.
Since government gave domestic football the green light to resume training last month, deliberations have been centred on which base would have the capacity to house the 32 PSL and NFD teams, as well as the match officials.
PSL chairperson Irvin Khoza told City Press a fortnight ago that the league was considering Gauteng and North West, while KwaZulu-Natal had also shown interest in serving as the biologically safe environment for the clubs, known as a bio-bubble, in terms of government’s Covid-19 safety and health protocols.
However, North West has come out in the past few days and declared its readiness to provide a solution for the PSL – the provincial government leadership cites a joint proposal between the Sun City resort and the state-of-the-art Royal Marang Sports Complex as ideal to host matches in a bio-safe environment.
Meanwhile, it has been rumoured that the PSL was planning to restart the season on August 15.