PSL veteran Mere set to prolong career after joining TS Galaxy

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The 37-year-old left the Dube Birds under controversial circumstances. Photo: Steve Haag / BackpagePix
The 37-year-old left the Dube Birds under controversial circumstances. Photo: Steve Haag / BackpagePix

SPORT


Veteran PSL defender Vuyo Mere has expressed gratitude for the second chance he has been given by TS Galaxy.

Mere’s signing was announced on Friday by the Mpumalanga club, a few hours after he confirmed his exit from Swallows FC.

The 37-year-old left the Dube Birds under controversial circumstances. There was an unconfirmed rumoured disciplinary fallout with the club.

Almost admitting that he made a mistake at Swallows, the Bloemfontein-born star was thankful for a lifeline by the Rockets, as TS Galaxy are known.

Mere said: 

I have had my fair share of downs in my life. I have been given a second chance and I can’t let my people down.

“The longer I stay focused, the better because there are people who are depending on me.”

He has had a long and illustrious career, having played for Hellenic FC, Mamelodi Sundowns, Platinum Stars, Bidvest Wits and Swallows. The right-back said he wants to help Galaxy remain in the top flight.

“I am very delighted to be here. As everyone knows I was with Swallows and I just joined the team now. Galaxy are looking to finish in a better position. I have aligned my goals with the team’s goals. They want to do better and set the standard like they did before.

He said: 

We have the same goals. The team have a good history and they have a great chairperson. I am looking forward to writing my name in the history books of the club.

Galaxy bought the premiership status of Highlands Park in 2020. The club finished ninth in the 2020/21 season but have had challenges in their second season. They currently anchor the Premiership table with 13 points from 17 games.

Mere said the team needed a few results to go their way when the league resumes next month.

“Consistency will be key in the second half of the season. The team were unfortunate for conceding own goals in the last few games.

READ: Long-serving PSL veteran Mere’s exit from Swallows could mark the end of an era

“The team have shown improvement under the new technical team. I am looking forward to adding my experience. We have 13 cup finals [league matches] to go. If we can get seven wins we will survive ... we will give our maximum effort in all the games.”

Mere’s career spans two decades, he made his debut as a skinny teenager with Cape Town club Hellenic FC in 2001.

Swallows chairperson David Mogashoa refused to discuss Mere’s departure. “You must speak with Vuyo because he is the one who released a statement. We are not going to say anything on that matter. He was not chased or anything like that.

Mogashoa said:

From our side, we are not going to issue any statement or do any farewells, end of story.

Mere declined to share details of his departure from the Birds’ nest.

He has been in limbo at Swallows for a few months since his rumoured misconduct which warranted disciplinary action.

He has not played an official game since October last year. His right-back position has since been taken over by Thabo Matlaba.

Mere had been with Swallows since 2019 and was instrumental in their promotion from the first division to the Premiership.

He and Lebohang Mokoena were the two Soweto club stalwarts and many thought they would hang up their boots at the Birds.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Gomolemo Motshwane  

Sport journalist

+27 11 713 9001
gomolemo.motshwane@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Tourism Minister Lindiwe Sisulu’s comments on the Constitution and the judiciary has been termed an “extraordinary attack” that is “dangerous and regressive”. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
She’s within her rights
11% - 39 votes
It’s all politics
26% - 89 votes
It was irresponsible
63% - 216 votes
Vote