Safa is crossing its fingers that government will grant it permission to resume the ABC Motsepe League.
After months of correspondence between the PSL and government, it is now Safa’s turn as teams look to complete the third-tier league.
As City Press previously reported, the ABC Motsepe League has a massive 498 games to complete in their nine provincial streams.
Safa is in a race against time to complete the season in time for the start of the new PSL season on October 9. Two clubs must be promoted from the third tier to the GladAfrica Championship.
“Safa has submitted a request for the resumption of amateur football under lockdown level 2 to government in line with regulations gazetted on August 17,” Safa said.
“As soon as government approves the application, the association shall communicate with all stakeholders on commencement dates and processes.
“The association commits that two clubs from ABC Motsepe will be promoted to the NFD, in line with the standing football regulations. In the meantime, all amateur football must remain suspended until Safa gets the go-ahead from government.”
A sticking point for both Safa and government will be Covid-19 health safety protocols for teams. It remains to be seen if the team members and other associated staff will be required to be tested for Covid-19 before games can resume. As an amateur league, many club owners simply don’t have enough money to test their staff and players as Covid-19 tests can cost as much as R850 per person.
Safa has tasked its national executive committee member Mzwandile Maforvane to oversee the process. In an interview with City Press recently, Maforvane said he was optimistic that two teams would be promoted to the second division.
“Games should restart sometime in September and we are just finalising those details. I am confident that we will be able to promote two teams. We are aware that the PSL will start the new season on October 9. At worst, we might need to ask the PSL for a delay of a week or two,” he said.