Football matches and programmes will only commence after engagements with both Fifa and government are completed, Safa has said.
In a statement on Tuesday, Safa said was responding because of “misconstrued” reports regarding the resumption of the football season which was disrupted by the outbreak of the Covid-19 coronavirus in March.
Having received a letter from Fifa on June 11, Safa wanted to clarify its position: “Fifa’s position and guidelines on the resumption of professional domestic leagues of member associations, the world football governing body says that it is not in a position to instruct any member association or make a determination on when football should restart in any country or territory.
“That decision must be made by each member association, [in this case, Safa] on the recommendation of the relevant national health authorities [government],” read the statement.
Safa emphasised that, as member associations of Fifa, it was required to inform the world football governing body of any changes to season dates and proposals to amend registration periods.
Sports, Arts and culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa last week gazetted the directives under which training and play could resume.
Safa has finalised and submitted its proposals to the minister for the resumption of training.
Football is one of the contact sports allowed to train under government’s level 3 of lockdown regulations.
“The matter for attention now is the proposals for resumption of competition and work will have to commence in engaging both Fifa and government on this matter,” said Safa. – Safa.net