The independent, crowd-driven and crowdfunded Christian series The Chosen keeps breaking records. Most recently, it surged into movie website IMDb’s top 250 all-time series list, joining prestigious series such as Netflix’s The Crown, and HBO’s hit series Band of Brothers and Chernobyl. In the days leading up to Easter, The Chosen mobile app rocketed to more than 100 000 downloads each day, making it one of the top 20 most downloaded entertainment apps in iOS, surpassing HBO and Vudu in downloads per day.
Created by Dallas Jenkins, the writer and director of The Resurrection of Gavin Stone and other hit faith-based films, The Chosen follows the storyline of the gospels through the eyes of those around Jesus. The series is somewhat of a phenomenon and holds the title as the number one crowdfunded media project so far, raising roughly R229 million from more than 6 000 investors.
It is now being translated into 52 languages, which is also crowd-sourced by the audience. It’s the first streaming TV series to be released globally in more than 180 countries via its own app. The app has been downloaded more than 1 million times, with more than 12 million episode viewings in a short period of time.
Neal Harmon, chief executive of VidAngel, said: “More than 300 million Americans are stuck at home, and likely growing tired of the relentless barrage of bad news and stress. “The Chosen is a series about hope and inspiration; a show about the gospels the whole family can celebrate together. We believe that’s why it’s seeing so much interest in the US and around the world.
“We encourage everyone who sees the show to use our pay-it-forward feature on the app to fund season two and make it possible for millions more to imagine what it might have been like to meet Jesus when he first walked the Earth, and to then read the New Testament with a fresh perspective.”
- The Chosen has an 8.5 user score on IMDb, with more than 5 000 user reviews, making it the highest-rated faith film project created so far.
- It has a 100% critic score and 99% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.
- The show is being watched in nearly every country on Earth.
- Audio dubs for the show are available in English, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian.
- The Chosen is subtitled in more than 20 languages, including Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Russian, French and German.
- The show is available to watch for free on The Chosen mobile app. Viewers can cast the show’s episodes to popular streaming devices such as Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV and Chromecast.
- The Chosen is the first TV series to be launched worldwide without restrictions in nearly every country.
Get in touch
|Rise above the clutter | Choose your news | City Press in your inbox|
|City Press is an agenda-setting South African news brand that publishes across platforms. Its flagship print edition is distributed on a Sunday.|