Controversial Bishop Makamu is back on air

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Bishop Israel Makamu. Photo: Instagram
Bishop Israel Makamu. Photo: Instagram

TRENDING


Guess who’s back? Back again... The Rea Tsotella TV show host Bishop Israel Makamu made a comeback on Moja Love – by popular demand – despite the fact that he has been accused of allegedly attempting to sexually assault a 21-year-old woman four years ago.

In a statement released this week, the channel confirmed that the embattled Endless Hope Bible Church pastor was back on the set of the popular show.

“After careful consideration and evaluation, the channel decided to reinstate Bishop Makamu to continue hosting Rea Tsotella. This follows a mediation between the parties involved, where they reconciled and agreed on an amicable way forward,” Moja Love head of channel Bokani Moyo said.

I am taking her to the military. I want her to remove herself from this whole situation.
The victim’s father

Makamu was scheduled to appear in the Palmridge Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, but did not make an appearance due to the civil unrest in parts of Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal this week.

The reality TV show star of I Am Bishop Makamu fame will appear in the same court next month.

READ: Makamu and victim smoke peace pipe

It is understood that he was expecting an official ruling on his matter to be struck off the court roll after the alleged victim allegedly indicated to the court that she would like to drop the charges against him.

Moyo said: “In relation to the legal matter, we cannot make any comments because it is still before the [court]. We can, however, confirm that Bishop Makamu was due to appear in court [on Wednesday], but due to the ongoing protests in the country, the case has been moved to a later date.”

Makamu found himself in hot water in May when a compromising voice recording of him surfaced in which he was allegedly asking for sexual favours from a then 17-year-old who was employed to work in his church’s office in Alberton.

However, the father of three denied that he was asking for sexual favours and said he was merely seeking keys from the former employee.

They take me to court and now they don’t want to continue with it.
Solomon Ashoms

Last month, the victim’s father told City Press that she was preparing to join the defence force and sought no distractions during this time.

“I am taking her to the military. I want her to remove herself from this whole situation. I am busy preparing those things for her. She is going to do nursing in the army,” he said.

READ: More Bishop Makamu victims come forward

Meanwhile, Solomon Ashoms, a close friend of the woman’s family and mediator between them and Makamu, told City Press that the TV star had allegedly dropped a lawsuit in which he was demanding R5 million for defamation of character and for Ashoms allegedly aiding the woman to open a case against him.

“They take me to court and now they don’t want to continue with it ... I told them they would have to pay my legal fees if the matter continued and they just dropped it,” he said.

Ashoms, who founded the Movement Against Abuse In Churches, received a letter from Makamu’s lawyers on May 21, requesting that he delete social media posts relating to reports that followed the audio recording going viral online.

Makamu had not replied to a request for comment by the time of going to print.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Delivering the 

news you need

+27 11 713 9001
news@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
The Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) has accepted the report by former Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke proposing that South Africa’s local government elections be postponed to February.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I was looking forward to the elections in October
56% - 10 votes
Postponement makes sense
33% - 6 votes
They should be later than February
11% - 2 votes
Vote