Isibaya actress Zinhle Mabena in court against estranged husband

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Isibaya actress Zinhle Mabena. Picture: File
Isibaya actress Zinhle Mabena. Picture: File

TRENDING


Two of the three charges laid against Isibaya actress Zinhle Mabena were withdrawn when she appeared in the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday. Mabena was in court for allegedly assaulting her estranged husband Robert Ngwenya.

The case was postponed to give Mabena’s legal representative time to go through the evidence given.

Ngwenya laid three criminal cases against Mabena, one of malicious damage to property and two of assault, following alleged domestic violence issues at their home in Centurion, Gauteng.

Mabena’s lawyer, Joshua Lazarus of Shapiro & Ledwaba, confirmed that two of the three charges against the star, who plays the role of Sihle on the popular Mzansi Magic drama, were thrown out of court.

“I can inform you that there were three charges laid by Robert Ngwenya ... two of those the state refused to prosecute,” Shapiro said, and explained that one case of malicious damage to property against his client was dismissed because they were in possession of a video showing Ngwenya slashing the tyres of his own car.

“It has been postponed in order for the state to provide me with the full disclosure and, once disclosure has taken place, we will then make written representation to have the matter withdrawn once we have seen the evidence,” said Shapiro.

The matter was reported in June 2020 after the star allegedly became physical with her husband during an argument at their home. According to a medical report, which City Press has seen, the businessman was injured on his cheek, shoulders and back after he was allegedly pushed down the stars at their home.

Mabena laid counter charges of physical abuse against Ngwenya the same year. She also obtained a protection order against him after he allegedly physically abused her.

A warrant of arrest against Ngwenya was obtained last month after he allegedly broke the terms of the protection order.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Delivering the 

news you need

+27 11 713 9001
news@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
According to a letter Health Minister Joe Phaahla sent to MECs, the country is ready to get rid of masks in public as a health protocol. Is it time to go maskless?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
About time
65% - 103 votes
No
35% - 55 votes
Vote