Minnie Dlamini speaks: I liquidated my skincare company

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
MD by Minnie Dlamini is no more. Photo: Supplied
MD by Minnie Dlamini is no more. Photo: Supplied

NEWS


Media personality Minnie Dlamini has confirmed that her skincare products have been discontinued, stating that she liquidated her company.  

This comes after City Press reported that MD by Minnie Dlamini products, which were produced by her company, Modi Dlamini Marketing, had been cleared from the shelves at Shoprite, Checkers and Clicks stores.  

READ: Minnie’s skincare products taken off the shelves

Speaking to celebrity commentator Nono D on her YouTube channel on Tuesday, Dlamini said she has used her failed beauty business as a learning experience.  

“MD Body SA has come to an end, unfortunately. I had to liquidate the company. Things happen. You work with people, it does not always end that well. It was a great learning curve for me and with everything that happens in life, I always say that it is a learning curve and an opportunity to learn how to do things better,” she said. 

The skincare range, which was being sold for R5 at Shoprite last year, has disappeared from the store's shelves. The skincare website and Instagram account have been deleted. While no posts have been published on its Facebook page and Twitter profile.

The beauty range was launched in June 2019 and boasted eviolin-enriched body lotions, soaps and body washes in three variants of cocoa crystal, rose quartz and tropical topaz. The products retailed for between R15 and R39. 

Dlamini revealed: 

That experience taught me what retail space looks like. Who are the people that make the most money. You know, we get so excited about owning equity and owning a brand, but that might not necessarily be where the money is.

The skincare range was a collaborative effort with Zeta Laboratories, under Modi Dlamini Marketing, which was formed with one of the directors of Modi Laboratories in 2016.  

A company background search report, which City Press has seen, reveals that Dlamini's company, which was registered as a new private entity, is currently active in business after it was almost deregistered in 2018 and again in 2020, for non-payment of annual returns. 

The star received many emails in 2018 and in 2020 before the company was flagged for deregistration due to annual return noncompliance.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Cricket SA is considering replacing Mark Boucher with two coaches, one for red-ball and the other for white-ball responsibilities. Is this a good move?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Love the idea
34% - 57 votes
Hate the idea
35% - 59 votes
They must just be local
32% - 54 votes
Vote