Primedia sticks by decision to mute Fresh and Euphonik

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Primedia Broadcasting has stood by its decision to end its contractual relationship with media heavyweights DJ Fresh and Euphonik
Primedia Broadcasting has stood by its decision to end its contractual relationship with media heavyweights DJ Fresh and Euphonik
Twitter

TRENDING


Primedia Broadcasting has stood by its decision to end its contractual relationship with media heavyweights DJ Fresh and Euphonik.

This comes a day after an announcement that charges of sexual assault against the pair were dropped by the National Prosecuting Authority on Monday.

The former 947 presenters broke the news through a joint statement released on their social media pages on Monday afternoon.

“We are pleased to state that, after considering all of the evidence collected while investigating the claim made by Ms Madikizela against us, the chief prosecutor has dismissed the allegations on the basis that the allegations are without merit,” their statement read.

The pair stepped out of their roles at 947 five days ago to face allegations brought against them by a woman who claimed they sexually assaulted her about 10 years ago at a party in Pretoria.

READ: DJ Fresh, Euphonik face rape charges

She broke the news on social media last month and later laid charges at Sunnyside Police Station.

In a statement to City Press, Primedia Broadcasting interim chief executive Geraint Crwys-Williams said the broadcaster was aware of the rape case against the duo being dropped.

“Primedia Broadcasting is aware of the media statement regarding a decision not to prosecute the case against DJ Fresh and Euphonik, released by them on social media yesterday.”

A decision to end the contractual relationship between all the parties was taken
Primedia

“As was communicated by Primedia, Fresh and Euphonik last week, a decision to end the contractual relationship between all the parties was taken,” the broadcaster said.

Fresh and Euphonik, real names Thato Sikwane and Themba Nkosi, respectively, decided to step down from their public duties when allegations were first levelled against them last month.

A decision to permanently be off-air was taken five days ago.

“As we’ve said before, these are false allegations and we are deeply saddened that gender-based violence, a serious crisis in South Africa, was weaponed in this manner. A huge thank you to all our family, friends and supporters, and our legal team,” the pair said.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Delivering the 

news you need

+27 11 713 9001
news@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule has written a letter suspending party president Cyril Ramaphosa in apparent retaliation after he was served with a letter of suspension on Wednesday.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
He doesn't have the power
35% - 98 votes
It’s a declaration of war
24% - 68 votes
Nothing but a distraction
42% - 118 votes
Vote