It is that time of the year where people are re-evaluating the year that
was and setting up New Year’s resolutions. According to Germiston-based social
worker Nthabiseng Madikgetla, New Year’s resolutions are not a waste of time
but instead a way to lead you to a path and destination you desire. Here are
reasons why you need them:
- They give you motivation. Life is mostly filled with challenges and sometimes one feels like giving up. It is never easy to give up when you have a goal you would like to achieve because when the going gets tough, your resolutions will be your motivation to want to live and fight another day.
- They give you purpose and meaning. When you make resolutions, you are like a person who gets into a car with a clear knowledge of where they are heading to. You have the knowledge of what you want to achieve at the end of the year. The desire to attain your goals becomes your reason for breathing.
- They help you to stay focused. There will be things that will try to catch your attention and distract you during the year. No one knows what tomorrow holds but whatever may happen, you are not easily distracted and you stay focused to what you want to achieve and you’ll be intentional in everything you do.
- They help you challenge yourself. It is almost impossible to achieve anything great without going through challenges and at times you become your biggest challenge. When you’ve made New Year’s resolutions, sometimes to achieve them you need to overcome yourself. You strive to overcome your fears and do what you thought you could not do just to achieve your goal.
- They mould you to be a better person. The resolutions you set will require you to be disciplined, patient, honest to yourself, have boundaries and know and understand your strengths and weaknesses. All this will not only help you achieve your goals, but they will shape you to be a better person as your self-knowledge increases with every step you take towards your goal.