Depression is a serious illness that demands attention sooner rather than later.
Here are five things you can start doing today if you’ve recognised the signs in yourself.
- Follow a routine. Get out of bed and get dressed every day – even if you have nothing to do.
- Set goals. Keep them simple, non-stressful and realistic.
- Exercise. Any form of physical exercise, however small, is beneficial – even a short walk can boost your energy and motivation.
- Eat well and avoid unhealthy habits. Diet is important for preventing triedness or feeling run down. If you lack an appetite, eat small snacks rather than large meals.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Go to bed at the same time every night and, more importantly, get up at the same time every morning.
Source: Guide To Overcoming Depression.
This is a portion of an article originally published in The Big Issue, June 2015, and which appears on the Sadag website.