20 November 2019 marks the 65th annual United Nations’ Universal Children’s day, which aims to promote international togetherness and awareness among children worldwide.
The day dates back to December 1954 when the UN General Assembly recommended that all countries should introduce an annual event, now known as Universal Children's Day, to encourage fraternity and understanding between children all over the world and to promote the welfare of children.
It was recommended that individual countries should choose an appropriate date for this occasion. Many countries respected this recommendation and Universal Children's Day has since been annually celebrated on 20 November.
The declaration and the convention on children's rights was also adopted by the UN General Assembly on this day.
Here are some beautiful, famous, quotes to remind you of the importance of children:
1. “A person’s a person no matter how small.” – Dr Seuss
2. “It’s easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” – Frederick Douglass
3. “Children are like wet cement: whatever falls on them makes an impression.” – Haim Ginott
4. “A baby is God’s opinion that the world should go on.” – Carl Sandburg
5. “There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children.” – Nelson Mandela
6. “Our children are our greatest treasure. They are our future. Those who abuse them tear at the fabric of our society and weaken our nation.” – Nelson Mandela
7. “Every time a child is saved from the dark side of life, every time one of us makes the effort to make a difference in a child’s life, we add light and healing to our own lives.” – Oprah Winfrey
8. “To me there is no picture so beautiful as smiling, bright-eyed, happy children. No music as sweet as their clear and ringing laughter.” – PT Barnum
9. “Children are not things to be moulded, but people to be unfolded.” – Jess Lair
10. “The child is father to the man.” – William Wordsworth