Estate benefitor


Move! Magazine has qualified experts who are ready and willing to answer your questions. Nthabiseng Monareng aka Ausie Nthabi holds an LLB from Wits University and is studying for her LLM. Nthabi has more than 10 years’ experience in the legal field, specialising as a family law expert. She’s written books on family law and is a family law mediator.

Question; Who benefits from an estate? 

How does money from a deceased spouse’s estate get shared between the remaining spouse and the children? Also, how do I get a letter of authority in this regard?

Lorraine, Springs

Ausi Nthabi answers:

When a spouse has passed on, the company will look at who was nominated as the

beneficiary in their policies. If no one has been nominated, the money will be transferred into the deceased’s estate. The money will then be shared by the surviving spouse and

the children. The surviving spouse will inherit R250 000 or a child’s share, whichever is the greater, and the children stand to inherit the balance of the estate. The children will then share the remaining amount in equal parts. If there is no surviving spouse, then

the children will be sharing out the money equally. To obtain a letter of authority, you

need to go the offices of the Master of the High Court.

Useful contacts:

Famsa: 011 975 7106

Department of Justice:

012 315 8130 or

012 315 1111

Lifeline: 021 461 1113

Here's how to get ahold of Ausi Nthabi:

Write a letter to Move!, PO Box 784072,Sandton


If you have email, send your questions to, or SMS your question to Move!/Ausie Nthabi on 33443*.

*Each SMS costs R1.50. You do not have to use your real name. M

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24