Kotex understands that talking openly about menstruation kids still a taboo to others so they have come up with a strategy for women to raise their concerns.
Log onto the Kotex Mxit App, visit the Facebook page or the Kotex website and ask sister Burgie Ireland, Kotex's advisory nursing sister and mid-wife any question you might have related to menstruation.
"As young women are still learning about their bodies, it is important to deliver factual and truthful information that will help them manage their menstruation and not feel ashamed of it" says Sister Ireland.
The Facts about menstruation:
- Bathing and washing hair is perfectly fine when on your period. When a woman looks good, she feels good.
- Swimming is safe and can also be enjoyed when on your period thanks to Kotex tampons.
- Period pain is normal and usually caused by a hormone called prostaglandin
- The idea that menstruating women are ‘unclean’ is outdated. Menstruating women are still clean.
- As long as a woman is menstruating, it means that she is ovulating and is fertile, irrespective of her flow. Problem periods such as infrequent and painful periods that interfere with daily living, should be investigated.
- Periods do not come in months – they come in cycles. A cycle is calculated from the first day of one period to the first day of the next period. Normal cycles can vary from three weeks to three months. Every woman is different.
- Tampons are safe and only sexual intercourse breaks virginity.
Sister Ireland is available to give the much needed advice young girls should hear on Kotex's apps.