There are still quite a few things we can do, however, to make our cuppas healthier.
- When drinking coffee in the afternoons and early evenings, rather switch to decaf to lessen the chance of not sleeping as well as you should.
- Sugar, the new eternal enemy, can destroy the value of your cups of coffee. Try adding cinnamon instead. This saves a whole lot of calories and strengthens your immune system plus many other benefits. You will be surprised at how quickly you get attached to this new, healthy, flavour.
- Don’t turn coffee into a dessert, by adding whipped cream, nuts, vermicelli or chocolate powder and the likes. This will reduce the potency of the nutrients and phytochemicals found in coffee beans.
- Avoid drinking coffee on an empty stomach. I can see the look of horror on many of your faces - those who rely on that first cup of caffeine to function. Get used to having a biscuit or a rusk with it because coffee on an empty tummy can cause a sudden drop of your blood sugar level causing an energy crash. Not exactly what you were hoping for!
- Grind your own coffee beans. This way you will be decreasing the oxygen and moisture in the atmosphere which can “zap” the beneficial antioxidants.