It's that time of the year again. A time when the annual Feather Awards celebrate the best and brightest of SA's stars and ordinary people and businesses who contribute towards equality.
The Feather Awards were founded in 2008 by gay activists Thami Kotlolo and Joe Correira and this year the theme was "Turn Up the Love".
The event took place at Constitutional Hill in Braamfontein, where the LGBTI awards commended African queer people for their great work and contribution towards equality.
There was plenty of social distancing at the intimate evening, which included a performance by talented, legendary songstress Gloria Bosman.
In a moving speech, founder Thami highlighted the urgent need for equality in corporate and public spaces to accommodate LGBTIQ+ people.
“The schooling system needs to tackle homophobic bullying. Gender-neutral toilets should be made a requirement. The taxi industry and public transport industry needs to be a safe space. The idea of a dress code in corporate culture promotes exclusion.”
Read more l Being single on Singles Day
He went on to say, “With the current on-going global pandemic, we made a call that the show must go on, obviously respecting all government regulations. Now in our 12th year, the main reason for hosting these awards during this trying period was to continue celebrating the LGBTIQ+ community and turn up the love. Every year, we come together to celebrate our diversity and also inclusion for all, and we felt we need it even more so in 2020."
- Best Styled Individual - Thishiwe Ziqubu
- Hunk of The Year - Gorata Nzimande
- Hot Chick of The Year - Siphesihle Ndaba
- Sports Personality of The Year - Siya Kolisi
- Best Rainbow Parenting - Napo Masheane
- Best LGBTIQ Student Movement - Rainbow UCT
- Best LGBTIQ Initiative (Public Sector) - Constitution Hill
- Best LGBTIQ Initiative (Private Sector) - Engage Men's Health
- Diva Extraordinaire Of The Year - Refilwe Modiselle
- Media Award of The Year - Motswaka
- Social Media Award of The Year - Coconut Kelz
- Cutest Couple of The Year - Vaivi Swartz and Sape Maodi-Swartz
- Role Model of The Year - Dr Dulcy Stapler Rakumakoe
- Drama Queen of The Year - Somizi and Dinner Kwa Somizi
- Socialite of The Year - Olwethu 'Olwee' Mlotshwa
- Musician of The Year - Master KG
- Fag Hag of The Year - Shumi Dantile and Siv Ngesi
- African Feather of The Year - Frank Mugisha
- Simon Nkoli Award - Gloria Bosman