One gun, five suspects and six years of investigations: what we know so far about the Senzo Meyiwa case

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Slain Orlando Pirates goal keeper Senzo Meyiwa. Photo: Steve Haag/Gallo Images
Slain Orlando Pirates goal keeper Senzo Meyiwa. Photo: Steve Haag/Gallo Images

It’s a classic case of ‘whodunnit’.

A murder, a gun, plenty of witnesses and five suspects – so far. But even with all that, the question of who killed Senzo Meyiwa is still unanswered, six years after his death.

But there is a glimmer of hope for the Meyiwa family after five suspects were arrested and appeared in court in connection with the murder.

But like everything else about the case, it wasn’t without its fair share of drama when the accused refused to step up to the dock, saying they knew nothing about the murder.

The denial has shocked the Meyiwa family.

“I am shocked because the police are the ones who brought them here, alleging they also made confessions,” Senzo’s brother Sfiso Meyiwa told the SABC after the appearance of the suspects.

The case has been postponed to 27 November.

Here’s a look at what you need to know about the case.

THE INCIDENT

In October 2014, Senzo was shot in Vosloorus while visiting his then girlfriend, singer Kelly Khumalo’s house.

According to the police report, investigations revealed that it was a robbery gone wrong when two men came into the house to rob and kill Senzo.

On the sixth-year anniversary of his death, the police minister Bheki Cele made an announcement at a press conference that shook the whole country.

While it was a relief hear that progress has been made in the case, the announcement left people with more questions than answers about what really happened that night.

“While six years have gone by, we remain confident that these arrests are the start of bringing closure for Senzo Meyiwa’s family friends and fans as well as millions of South Africans,” the minister said.

Hours after this announcement, Afriforum which has been at the forefront of helping Senzo’s family see justice prevail held a joint press conference with the Meyiwas.

Read more | Senzo Meyiwa's family still not convinced about new leads: "It's all lies"

ARRESTS

The accused who appeared in court are Muzikawulahlelwa Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mothobisi Mncube, Mthokosenzi Maphisa, and Sifikuhlenhle Nkani Ntuli. The police minister said five suspects were arrested on Monday  but in court, some suspects say they were arrested months ago and didn’t even know why they were in the dock, claiming they were used as scapegoats as they are already in prison for other crimes.

They’ve been charged with murder, attempted murder, robbery, possession of firearms, possession of ammunition.

“As investigations are still ongoing and more arrests cannot be ruled out,” Minister Cele said.

HIT OR ROBBERY?

The Meyiwa family and Afriforum believe there was no robbery but a hit. In an interview with DRUM a few days ago, Senzo’s brother, Sfiso Meyiwa blatantly said, “It is all lies” when news broke that a man who is already in jail is the one who pulled the trigger. “Kante how many people killed Senzo?” he asked.

In a virtual interview on Monday, Afriforum’s Gerry Nel said it was a hit.

"And we agree, that having gone through the evidence that this is a hit and we've also indicated our full cooperation in exposing the mastermind and ensuring that the mastermind is also prosecuted."

 Read more |  Senzo Meyiwa's family still not convinced about new leads: "It's all lies"

WHO IS THE MASTERMIND?

The Meyiwa family says they can’t wait to get closure and hear the full truth about what happened that fateful day.

“The people in the house know who killed Senzo. There were no robbers,” Sfiso told DRUM.

He insisted there was someone behind the whole thing.

While arrests have been made, “more still needs to be done,” Sfiso repeatedly said at Monday’s conference.

Gerry Nel agreed and said the police need to address the issue of the ‘mastermind’.

 Read more | ‘We’re not coping’ – Sam Meyiwa on Senzo’s ‘cold case’

SIX YEARS OF WAITING

Senzo Meyiwa’s father spent years campaigning for his son’s killers to be brought to justice. He died without seeing it happen.

It was in 2015 when he first insisted that his son’s murder was a hit.

 Read more | Senzo Meyiwa's dad: His murder was a hit

In one of his last interviews with Drum, he said he wouldn’t give up.

“I’m not overreacting and I don’t want the spotlight. If I don’t make a noise, no one will. I shall not fold my arms and keep quiet. I’ll fight till the end.”

And fight till the end he did.

 

 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24