At a time when most Africans in lockdown were struggling with isolation blues, Kenyan comedian, Angel Elsa Majimbo rose to fame when she posted a video making light of the situation.
Her quirky sense of humor, relatable content and signature laugh stole the hearts of people around the world as her videos were shared by thousands on every social media platform and as Elsa would say “It’s not by mistake”, her talent shines through.
The 18-year-old internet sensation’s videos have gained global recognition and have resulted in MAC collaborating with her and award-winning actress, Lupita Nyong’o as well as Miss Universe, Zozibini Tunzi giving her a shout-out.
Outside of her hilarious videos, not much is known about the rising star so DRUM caught up with Elsa to find out more about the woman behind the videos.
1. How would you describe Elsa in three words?
Three words is few but if I really had to pick, I’d say Elsa is brave, chilled and talkative.
2. What are you studying?
I’m currently studying journalism at Strathmore University in Nairobi, Kenya.
3. When you created your first video, did you think it was going to be this big?
I made my first video back in 2016 and back then most of my audience were my schoolmates. I stopped for a while and resumed in 2019.
4. How has life changed for you since your videos went viral?
I mean, back at home I’m still the same old Elsa. I guess the change is felt on social media and in public spaces now that more people know who I am. Also, now I’m making money off what I do, which was not the case before.
5. Have you been to SA before and if so, what do you love so much about it?
Yes, I have been to South Africa, specifically Johannesburg, Cape Town and Pretoria. My family and I sometimes visit in the summer. The people are really nice.
6. Apart from the MAC deal, what other deals have you secured because of your videos?
Hahaha, not to be disclosed yet. Some of them are surprises.
7. Do you consider yourself a comedian?
To be honest, I never used to. Not until people started finding me funny. So now I can say yes, I do consider myself a comedian. A comedian in my own style.
8. How does it feel to get shout-outs from people like Lupita Nyong’o and Miss Universe?
The shout-out from Lupita came as a shock. I mean LUPITA, I’m really happy to have gotten such. Miss Universe has been so kind and I appreciate the blessings. I love that I’ve been able to bond with her and create a friendship with her, I literally run to her when I have good news.
9. What inspires your videos and how do you come up with ideas for them?
It’s really the things that happen in my day-to-day life. So, sometimes, something can happen and inspire me to make a video about it or I could just be chilling and the most random idea comes to mind and then I tape it.
10. How did the name Mpho on your Instagram profile come about?
The name ‘Mpho’ was given to me by South Africans. I love them a bit too much hahaha.
Here are 5 of our favourite videos by Elsa.