Following his removal from the Cape Town Jazz festival and countless tweets by fans, Sjava has finally released a statement regarding the rape allegations made against him.
Taking to his Twitter page, the internationally acclaimed singer, released a statement in which he claims he did not rape Lady Zamar and provided a timeline of the actions he has taken since the allegations first became public in October 2019.
In his statement Sjava wrote: "There are a number of reasons I have not spoken about this matter in public and chose to rather follow the legal process, kodwa (but) it has now become impossible to remain quiet. At the same time, I am only going to share information that is necessary to share due to the latest news reports. It is not my intention to stand trial by social media."
He added: "Okokqala, angimudlwengulanga uLady Zamar. I did not rape her."
He went on: "People are saying that I made empty threats to take her to court after her allegations last year. Ngithe mina (I said) last year I would follow legal processes to protect myself. This was not a threat. Its something that anyone would do to protect themselves if they are accused of doing something that is not true."
He then proceeded to share a timeline of events that occurred since the first allegations were made.
SEE THEM HERE:
Sanibonani. pic.twitter.com/za08CXpHF2— Sjava indlalifa (@Sjava_atm) March 3, 2020
In the allegations, made in 2019, Lady Zamar detailed what went down during their two-year relationship – which was kept private until they broke up in 2019. She accused Sjava of being emotionally and sexually abusive.
Following this, Sjava threatened to take legal action against Lady Zamar for defamation of character. Lady Zamar did not respond to his threats and from then the two seemed to be moving on with their lives separately.
This month it was revealed that Lady Zamar had actually opened a case of rape and had brought charges against Sjava.
Speaking to Daily Sun, Limpopo police spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo confirmed that a case of rape had been opened.
"The suspect wasn’t arrested, as the circumstances of this case demanded that the docket, after completion of the investigation, be forwarded to the director of public prosecutions (DPP) for further direction," he told the publication.
Since the news of Sjava's removal broke earlier this week, Lady Zamar has not openly spoken about the case.
She has however tweeted a picture of herself looking happy and captioned it, "No matter what anyone says about me, I am a superstar."
I am... no matter what anyone says to or about me... I am ??Superstar?? pic.twitter.com/7k1aEtBoQp— Lady Zamar (@Lady_Zamar) March 3, 2020