- 500g - self-raising flour
- 300ml - beer
- - salt
- - extra flour for dusting
- 5ml - each crushed garlic and ginger
- 5ml - smoked paprika
- 5ml - ground coriander
- 300ml - plain doublecream yoghurt OR buttermilk
- 3 - chicken breast fillets, halved and flattened with the heel of your hand
- - salt and freshly ground pepper
- 375ml - white breadcrumbs
- - oil for shallow-frying
- 125ml - plain double-cream yoghurt
- - juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 10ml - roasted curry powder or mild curry paste
- 1/4 - cabbage
- 1/2 - red onion, cut into rings
- 1 - carrot, grated
- 1 - banana, sliced
- 50g - sultanas
- 50g - peanuts
- - mayonnaise
- - salad greens (optional)
- - campfire baked potatoes and onions
1 GRIDDLE BUN
Mix the ingredients and divide into six equal portions.
Roll each into a bun and sprinkle flour over.
Braai over medium coals until done – they should sound hollow when tapped.
Mix the garlic, ginger, spices and yoghurt or buttermilk.
Season the chicken breast fillets with salt and pepper.
Dip in the seasoning mixture and roll in breadcrumbs to coat.
Set aside for 30 minutes.
Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the chicken on the stovetop or over braai coals for 12- 15 minutes or until golden brown all over and cooked inside.
Cover the pan for the last 5 minutes to finish cooking the chicken by steaming.
Mix the yoghurt, lemon juice, zest and curry powder.
Add the vegetables, banana (if using), sultanas and peanuts, and mix.
5 TO FINISH
Halve the griddle buns and put a piece of chicken on the bottom half of each. Spoon mayonnaise over, followed by coleslaw. Top with salad greens (if using) and the other half of the bun.
6 TO SERVE
Serve with campfire baked potatoes and onions.