- - Fresh spinach or coriander
- 5cloves - garlic, crushed
- - mint to garnish
- - salt, pepper and olive oil (for mixing through)
- 500ml - bulgur wheat, soaked according to packet instructions
- 5ml - turmeric
- 5ml - ground coriander
- handful - toasted almonds, chopped
- 1 - onion, chopped
- handful - spinach, shredded
- 45-60ml - each chopped fresh coriander and fresh mint
- 30ml - mild curry paste or biryani spice mix
- 1 - onion, thinly sliced
- - TO SERVE
- 15ml - olive oil
- 250g - mushrooms, sliced
- - cornflour oil for shallow frying
- 500ml - cooked lentils
1 Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
2 Add the spices and stir through.
3 Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until cooked.
4 Add the spinach and herbs and stir through.
5 In a separate bowl, mix the bulgur and lentils and season with salt and pep-
per. Mix in a little olive oil.
6 Add the veggie mixture to the lentil mixture and combine lightly. Stir in the almonds.
7 TO SERVE Roll the onion slices in the cornflour. Heat enough oil in a saucepan for shallow-frying, then fry the onion in batches until crispy and brown. Drain on paper towels.
8 Spoon the lentil mixture into bowls and top with the onion rings. Garnish with fresh spinach or fresh coriander and mint.