- 1 - butternut, cut into chunks
- 5 cloves - garlic, crushed
- 10 ml - chopped rosemary
- 1 - leg of lamb, about 2,5 kg
- 60 ml - olive or canola oil
- 1 - onion, cut into wedges
- 6-8 - floury potatoes
- - rosemary sprigs for garnishing
- 1 - green, yellow and red peppers, cubed
- 625 ml - vegetable stock
- 15 ml - chopped thyme
- 100 g - butter at room temperature
- 1,5 kg - sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- - salt and black pepper
- ½ - head broccoli cut into florets
- - fresh thyme, chopped
- 10 - whole cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- - salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat the oven to 160 °C. Grease a large roasting pan.
2 Potatoes Place potatoes and onion in the pan, season with salt and black pepper and pour over the vegetable stock.
3 Meat Mix the garlic, thyme, rosemary and butter in a bowl.
4 Make 6-8 deep incisions in the leg of lamb and spread the butter mixture over the meat, ensuring the mixture is also rubbed into the incisions.
5 Put the meat on a rack that fits on top of the roasting pan containing the potatoes. Roast until the meat is medium done (allow 20 minutes for every 500 g meat plus 20 minutes extra). Remove the meat from the oven.
6 Return potatoes to the oven and roast until crisp.
7 Leave the meat to rest for about 10 minutes then carve. Garnish with rosemary sprigs.
8 Vegetables Put the sweet potatoes, butternut and garlic in a large baking tray, separate from the meat. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the oil and thyme. Roast for 40 minutes, add the peppers and broccoli and roast for 10 minutes, until just done and not overcooked.
9 Serve the meat with the roast potatoes and vegetables.