- 1 - whole chicken
- 60ml - salt
- 60ml - sugar
- 2 - bay leaves
- 4 - garlic cloves, bruised
- 2 - onions, quartered
- 750ml - water
- 10ml - ground pepper
- 15ml - chicken spice mix
- 30ml - coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 15ml - cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 5ml - sea salt
- 1-2 - red chillies, chopped
- bunch - handful each of fresh parsley and coriander, chopped
- 60ml - spekboom leaves OR the juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 80ml - olive oil
MARINATING: 2 HR OR OVERNIGHT
1. Chicken Using kitchen scissors, remove the backbone of the chicken. Turn the chicken over (breast-side upward) and press down with the heel of your hand to break the breastbone.
2. Put the salt, sugar, bay leaves, garlic and onions in a large glass bowl. Add the water and stir until the salt has dissolved. Put the chicken in the brine – if the chicken isn’t completely covered, add more water. Put in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
3. Prepare a fire with enough coals to braai the chicken. Put a stand in the coals and keep a folding braai grid handy. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
4. Season the chicken with the pepper and spice. Put in the grid and braai over medium coals for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and done.
5. Spekboom salsa Mix the ingredients well.
6. When the chicken is done, remove from the fire. Cut into portions and serve with the salsa.
Our new Heritage Food magazine is now in stores. Buy it now!