- - fresh mint, chopped
- 1,5l - water
- 10 - red shallots, cut into wedges
- 50g - ginger
- 1kg - pork ribs, cut across the bone into 4cm pieces
- 8 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 - lemongrass stalks, (white part only), coarsely chopped
- 100ml - lime juice
- - zest of 2 limes
- 50ml - fish sauce
- - roasted chilli powder
- - thinly sliced spring onions
- 12 - small green chilies OR as many as preferred
1. Bring the ribs and water to the boil in a large saucepan, skim off any foamy scum that forms on top, reduce the heat and simmer until the ribs are tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and set aside
2. Add the ginger, lime zest, shallots, garlic and lemongrass to the saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove most of the ginger, shallots, garlic and lemongrass with a slotted spoon and place the ribs back in the saucepan.
3. Add the chillies, fish sauce and lime juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. To serve Spoon the rib soup into bowls and serve with the chilli powder, spring onions and mint sprinkled over.
TIP: Ask your butcher to cut the ribs to size.