- 1kg - pork ribs, cut across the bone into 4cm pieces
- 1,5l - water
- 50g - ginger
- - zest of 2 limes
- 10 - red shallots, cut into wedges
- 8 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 - lemongrass stalks, (white part only), coarsely chopped
- 12 - small green chilies OR as many as preferred
- 50ml - fish sauce
- 100ml - lime juice
- - roasted chilli powder
- - thinly sliced spring onions
- - fresh mint, chopped
1 Bring the ribs and water to the boil in a large saucepan, skim off any foamy scum that forms on top, reduce the heat and simmer until the ribs are tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2 Add the ginger, lime zest, shallots, garlic and lemongrass to the saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove most of the ginger, shallots, garlic and lemongrass with a slotted spoon and place the ribs back in the saucepan.
3 Add the chilies, fish sauce and lime juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
4 To serve: Spoon the rib soup into bowls and serve with the chili powder, spring onions and mint sprinkled over.
TIP: Ask your butcher to cut the ribs to size.