- 125ml - cream
- 60g - butter
- 80ml - Merlot
- 300g - ox liver
- 1 - onion, finely diced
- 30ml - olive oil
- 100g - mushrooms, thickly sliced
- - salt and pepper
- 250ml - beef stock
- 4cloves - garlic, minced
- 4sprig - thyme
1. Put a pan over medium heat and melt 30 g butter with 15 ml (1 tbsp) oil. Add the mushrooms and cook for five minutes until soft.
2. Stir in the onion and cook for another three minutes. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper and the thyme. Cook for another two minutes, stirring constantly until fragrant. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a small bowl.
3. Pat the ox liver dry with a paper towel and season all over with salt and pepper. Put the same pan over high heat and add the remaining butter and oil. When the butter is hot and has finished foaming, add the liver to the pan and sauté, turning over once with tongs about five minutes per side. Transfer to the bowl with the mushrooms.
4. Add the wine and boil until reduced by half, scraping the bottom with a spatula to deglaze the pan. Add the stock and boil until reduced.
5. Add the cream and boil until the sauce thickens slightly. Return the mushrooms and liver to the pan and heat until warmed through.