- - juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 100g - chillies, finely chopped
- 1 - red onion, chopped
- - salt and pepper
- 20g - basil, torn
- 3cm - ginger, chopped
- 4 - garlic cloves, chopped
- 375ml - mixed baby tomatoes, halved
- - pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- - handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 30ml - olive oil
- 6-8 - garlic cloves, chopped
- - braaied mielies
- - lemon wedges
- 1 - large whole fish (yellowtail or snoek), butterflied (keep the tail on)
- 250g - butter
1. CHILLI BASIL BUTTER Put all the ingredients except the butter in a food processor and chop finely. Add the butter and process until the ingredients are well combined. Shape into a roll and freeze.
2. TOMATO SALSA Mix all the ingredients and place in a jar.
3. FISH Grease a clean braai grid well with nonstick spray. Put the fish on the grid, skin side down. Slice the butter and place a generous amount on the flesh of the fish.
4. Braai, skin side down, high above slow coals (you should be able to keep your hand over the coals for 10 seconds) until the flesh is white and no longer glassy. Add more butter as needed and brush the melted butter over the fish from time to time.
5. Close the grid and turn over. Brush the flesh with butter and braai for about two minutes or until slightly seared. Turn and cook briefly again on the skin side.
6. Place the fish on a serving plate and spoon the salsa on top.
7. TO SERVE Serve with braaied mealies and lemon wedges.
TIP: Brush mealies with the chilli basil butter and braai until done.