Preparation: 20 min
Cooking: 15 min
60 ml (¼ c) cinnamon
7 ml (1½ t) nutmeg
2,5 ml (½ t) ground allspice
5 ml (1 t) ground ginger
5 ml (1 t) ground cardamom
375 ml (1½ c) white sugar
1 litre (4 c) water
2 cinnamon sticks
40 g butter, melted
375 ml (1½ c) flour, plus extra for dusting
5 ml (1 t) baking powder
pinch of salt
30 ml (2 T) milk
apple spice and sugar, for serving
- Apple spice: in a jar combine all the spices and shake till all is well mixed.
- Dumplings: In a pot simmer sugar, water and cinnamon sticks until syrupy. In a large bowl whisk the eggs well then add the melted butter.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and 10 ml (2 t) apple spice. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Add the milk and mix well.
- When the syrup is warm but not boiling place teaspoons of the batter into the liquid, ensuring not to overcrowd the pot as they expand quite a bit.
- Cover the pot with a lid and allow the dumplings to steam for 5 minutes. The dumplings are done when they’re firm to the touch.
Gently remove them with a slotted spoon and sprinkle a little apple spice and sugar over. Continue with the remaining batter. When all the dumplings have been cooked pour the syrup over the dumplings. Serve immediately.