Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 35 min
Serves: 6 and more
30 ml (2 T) oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 sprigs thyme
750 g mushrooms, finely chopped
1 kg beef fillet
salt and pepper to taste
15 ml (1 T) oil
60 ml (¼ c) wholegrain mustard
500 g streaky bacon
36 asparagus spears
400 g frozen puff pastry
1 egg, whisked
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion, garlic and thyme. Add mushrooms and cook until the mixture is dry. Season to taste.
2. Season fillet and heat a pan with oil. Brown the fillet to seal well and set aside to cool.
3. Brush fillet with mustard. On a piece of cling wrap, place bacon, overlapping one another slightly. Spread the mushroom mixture over the bacon and place the asparagus in a line over the mixture.
4. Place the fillet on the asparagus. Roll the fillet tightly in the bacon, using plastic wrap to secure the parcel and place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle large enough to fit the fillet.
6. Remove the fillet from the plastic wrap and place in the middle of the pastry.
7. Brush the pastry ends with egg and fold over the fillet to cover, cutting off any excess pastry.
8. Place on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining egg. Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Allow the beef Wellington to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving to ensure the meat remains juicy.