Preparation: 10 min
Cooking: 15 min
50 g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
5 ml (1 t) cumin
100 g biltong powder
125 ml (½ c) flour
1 litre (4 c) beef stock
500 ml (2 c) milk
5 ml (1 t) nutmeg
50 g blue cheese, crumbled
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
biltong slices to serve
1. Melt the butter in a large pot until frothy and add the onion. Fry until soft, add the cumin and biltong powder.
2. Add the flour to the onion mixture and lower the heat. Slowly add the stock, stirring continuously and adding more water as the mixture thickens. Add the milk in small quantities until it’s just mixed in and creamy.
3. Add the nutmeg to the soup. Remove from the heat.
4. Add most of the crumbled blue cheese but leave some for serving. Purée the soup until smooth and season to taste.
6. Serve with slices of biltong and crumbled blue cheese.