Preparation: 20 min
Chilling: 30 min
Cooking: 1 hour
8 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
375 ml (1½ c) mozzarella cheese
125 ml (½ c) Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
250 ml (1 c) cream
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tomatoes, sliced
handful of parsley, chopped
Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line a 20-cm cake pan with baking paper.
1. Arrange a layer of potato slices in the bottom. Mix the cheeses and sprinkle over the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, then add another layer of potatoes. Continue the layering until several layers deep.
2. In a jug combine the cream and garlic. Pour over the layered potatoes. Season the potatoes and press down into the pan. Allow to chill for 30 minutes.
3. Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes or until halfway cooked and use a fork to check if cooked through.
4. Take the potatoes out of the oven and arrange the tomato slices on top. Season the tomatoes with parsley, salt and pepper.
5. Place back in the oven and allow to bake for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.
Serve hot with a salad.