1) If women’s advancement in South Africa was rated as 10 the highest, where do you believe women are right now?
I think we are at seven due to government’s empowerment policies relating to businesses owned by black females. We rated top on the BEE scorecard and that makes us attractive for any partnerships in business deals. However, corporate South Africa needs to come to the party in promoting and supporting women to more senior and prominent roles and positions.
2) You have been in business for years, what was the best decision you made that has helped you run successful and sustainable businesses?
The best decision I ever made was never to focus on my competitors but to continue to improve on what we did the day before, in terms of our service offering to the best of our ability. Excellence plays a major role within our business and also my personal life and any of my staff members will tell you that; I expect each one to give of their best. If you show up, you must excel and that has made us leaders in the Corporate travel space as Travel with Flair has the best technologies and give the best service standards that our competitors are still trying to measure up to.
3) As a mother, wife, business woman and sister, how do you balance your time to make sure none of your roles suffer?
I always give of my best in the 24 hours God gives me in a day. I make time for my family, as you can get so busy with work and can neglect the people you most care about. I always say, there is no perfect balance as each person’s world is so different, so as long as you are present and effective in all areas of your life, do not beat yourself up if you don’t do it best like a friend of yours does..
4) As a woman in leadership, what qualities do you believe make women successful as leaders?
Women are nurturers, we are builders and always outward looking and that is a great quality a leader should possess. Women care more about those around them which in turn, if you are an employer, helps you to look well after your staff and they in turn stay many years with you in the business. We are better team players and a great leader should be one that can be humble enough to be part of the working team.
5) What’s the best business and life advice you have received and who gave it to you?
My late dad told me at a very young age that hard work never killed anyone, he also told us that “people are attracted to those that glow” hence I have always worked hard in life to excel and always look good. People can only have faith in your ability to look after their business accounts if you look the part, success follows excellence!