Gas kills East Rand woman and baby

accreditation

A woman and her infant son died of carbon monoxide poisoning at a construction site in Alberton on the East Rand on Tuesday, paramedics said.

The family was apparently using a charcoal fire for warmth at an informal settlement on the construction site in Randhart, Netcare 911 spokesman Jeffrey Wicks said.

"Either falling asleep or overwhelmed by the noxious gas, the couple failed to extinguish the fire, which is thought to have burnt through the night in an adjacent room."

A passer-by found their bodies in the morning and called paramedics.

The woman's husband was in a critical condition.

"Her husband is fighting for his life in hospital... Carbon monoxide poisoning is particularly prevalent in the winter months, as many resort to fires for warmth," said Wicks.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24