Preparation time: 20 min
Chilling time: 30 min
Baking time: 15 min
375 ml (1½ c) flour
10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
2, 5 ml (½ tsp) salt
75 g butter, diced
200 ml (¾ c) milk
250 g bacon rashers
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
125 ml (½ c) mozzarella cheese, grated
125 ml (½ c) Cheddar cheese, grated
handful fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Pastry: Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Using your fingers, crumb the butter into the bowl. Mix in the milk until just combined.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll into a rectangle, trimming the edges.
- Filling: Cover the pastry with a layer of bacon, leaving a 2 cm edge free on one of the longer sides of the dough.
- Mix together the onion, garlic, cheeses and parsley, and spread over the bacon. Brush the gap at the edge of the dough with water then roll into a spiral, sealing the edge. Wrap the roll in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Slice the roll into slices about 1½ cm thick and place, spiral side up, on the prepared tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.