6 red chillies
15 ml (1 T) crushed garlic
5 ml (1 t) salt flakes
2,5 ml (½ t) paprika
125 ml (½ c) olive oil
60 ml (¼ c) red wine vinegar
3 whole baby chickens
salt and freshly ground black pepper
roast potato wedges and salad to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Peri-peri sauce Place the chillies, garlic, salt flakes, paprika, oil and vinegar in a saucepan and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Let the mixture cool.
3. Pour the mixture into a food processor and blitz until it thickens.
4. Chicken Place the chickens in a large bowl, season and spread with half the peri-peri sauce. Keep basting the chicken with the rest of the peri-peri sauce while grilling. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for use next time.
5. Seal the chickens with clingfilm and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
6. Preheat a griddle pan or braai stand and cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until browned.
7. Transfer to a roasting tray and roast for 25 minutes or until the chickens are cooked through.
8. Serve with roast potato wedges and salad.