Preparation time: 20 min
Chilling time: Overnight
Cooking time: 1 hour
Baking time: 12 min
Makes 2 x 30 pies
You will need
4 x 250 ml (4 cups) cake flour
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
500 g ice-cold margarine, grated
2 egg yolks, beaten
10 ml (2 tsp) ice-cold water
10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
2 whole fresh chickens
1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
4 onions, peeled
2 green peppers, cored and diced
30 ml (2 tbsp) crushed garlic
3 sprigs bay leaves
1 sprig fresh or 15 ml (1tbsp) dried rosemary
salt and freshly ground black pepper
125 ml (½ cup) sago, soaked in 250ml (1 cup)
1. PASTRY Sift together the flour and salt in thin layers, alternating them with layers of grated margarine to distribute the flour and margarine evenly. Sprinkle the egg yolk, cold water and lemon juice over.
2. Rub the mixture gently with your fingers. Add the boiling water in a small stream and mix to a slack pastry dough.3. Divide into two, cover with clingfilm and chill overnight. Roll out each portion until about 5 mm thick. Fold into two thirds its size and refrigerate before using.
4. CHICKEN MIXTURE Remove the fat inside the cavity of the chickens and put them in a large saucepan along with the remaining ingredients except the sago. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 hour or until the meat falls off the bone.
5. Take the chicken from the saucepan and remove the skin and bones – discard the skin and keep the bones. Shred the chicken into pieces and put back into the saucepan.
6. Add the sago and cook until it’s transparent, stirring continuously to prevent the sago from sticking.
7. Knead the chilled dough a little until it’s manageable. Divide each into 5 balls and roll each ball on a floured surface. Cut using a 11 to 12 cm round cutter.
8. Put 2 tablespoons of the filling on one side. Fold over to make a half-moon shape. Brush with the egg. Place on a prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until done. Pack in the prepared box. Sell two pies in a medium-size paper bag. Packaging Any large box, covered in brown or colourful paper, and brown paper bags.