Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 2-2½ hours
Cooking method: pot-roasting
YOU WILL NEED
1,5 kg bolo or hump, in a net
50 g (½ of 100 g packet) almond slivers
45 ml (3 tbsp) oil
3-4 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
6-8 cloves garlic, crushed
4-6 whole cloves
2 whole cinnamon sticks
salt and freshly ground black pepper
90 ml (6 tbsp) red wine or vegetable or chicken stock
45 ml (3 tbsp) chopped thyme
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped marjoram or oregano
250-375 ml (1-1½ cups) beef stock, heated
1 kg baby potatoes
1. Make incisions (cuts) all over the meat and insert the almond slivers in the cuts.
2. Heat a little oil in a large heavy-base saucepan and fry the chillies, garlic, cloves and cinnamon sticks until the chillies and garlic are soft.
3. Add the meat and brown all over. Season well with salt and pepper and add the red wine or stock, herbs and a little of the beef stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and braise for 2-2½ hours or until the meat is tender.
4. Turn the meat occasionally, adding more stock as needed. Add the potatoes about 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
5. Put the meat on a serving platter, remove the net and carve the meat. Serve with the potatoes and green vegetables.