Preparation time: 10 min
Baking time: 12 min
500 ml (2 c) self-rising flour and extra for kneading
45 ml (3 T) caster sugar
60 g butter, chopped
250 ml (1 c) buttermilk
jam and cheese to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C. Line a baking pan with baking paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into a bowl. Add butter. Using your fingers rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of mixture. Add buttermilk. Using a flat knife, stir until a sticky dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out dough (keep it thick). Using a round cookie cutter, cut out scones. Press leftover dough together. Repeat to make 12 scones.
- Place scones on prepared tray, brush with milk and bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Serve with jam and cheese.